In one of our Motherhood Circles one mom shared how she is feeling more connected to her partner since they started a weekly check-in (affectionately called a love-in). Everyone wanted ALL THE DETAILS so here they are!
Sit together for a few minutes every Sunday (or whatever day of the week works best for you) and go through these four steps:
1. A brief meditation - could be 30 seconds of quiet, or a quick guided meditation if you have more time.
2. Praise & Gratitude - each person offers praise & gratitude for the other.
3. Air grievances - exactly what it sounds like: talking about current issues/challenges.
4. The week ahead - looking at your calendar(s) together to see what is coming up and how to get through it together.
5. Physical touch - spend some time connecting physically.
Let us know if you try it and how it works!
The topic of the mental load comes up in every single circle and most conversations I have with parents of young children. If you are new to the idea of the mental load this cartoon is a great place to start:
Here are a couple of articles with suggestions on how to discuss or redistribute the mental load:
There has been less research on same-sex couples but here are a few perspectives:
Do you relate to any of these articles? Or have other advice to offer on the mental load?
Thoughts on pregnancy, birth and motherhood.